Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Rogue One

Conceptual poster design
Black India Ink and water color on watercolor paper.
12.7 cm x 17.8 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
2017

Here’s my poster to illustrate my review of the movie, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on That’s Good Spam, my “bookmark” blog.

Similar to the design conceit for many movie posters, this one features almost exclusively the film’s characters. I attempted to weight the character scales pretty equally, with the primary protagonist, Jyn Erso played by Felicity Jones, at the top and centered. All the rest are members of the resistance/rebels if not of the team of the film’s name. I didn’t go far for reference, as I did base all of the character images off of the same one poster used in actual marketing. The vertical, scratchy lines was initially inherent of the fine quill tip ink pen. Rather than going in with solid back areas, I kept the tight hatching liking the overall rough, unfinished appearance as if it contrasted with the sleek polished aesthetic of the film’s galactic empire.

I chose to only reference the galactic empire by the partial Death Star weapon at the top. No Darth Vader. No AT-AT’s. This by no mean signifies that I have planned a contrasting sister poster of Imperial characters. It was entirely a decision of economy.

[link to my review of Rogue One]

[link to That’s Good Spam]


No comments:

Post a Comment