Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cover Girl


Cover, Unstoppable Tuff-Girl, No. 01
Carmine Red Col-Erase pencil on Bristol board
25.1206 x 38.862 cm (9.89 in. x 15.30 in.)

Now this is starting to feel like progress.

I'll follow this up later with a montage of the thumbnail drawings done leading up to this composition, and at that point it will make sense of my thought process.

Here you can get a sense of the pleasure I get from the DC Comics covers from the late sixties and early seventies that, unlike the mini movie posters on modern comics, had tantalizing outrageous imagery like more playful pulp novel covers. It may be especially evident that the multiple panels motif is borrowed from their 100 Page Specials which contained multiple stories in a "something for everyone" sort of way.

This first issue promises adventures of this new hero against a bounding man-lizard, a befuddled pup impossibly fitted in a magician's top hat, and a little pig-tailed girl enjoying the California waves.

Sound like fun?

I can hardly wait until I can fill the top with the official logo. Oh, but I must.

No comments:

Post a Comment