Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Drawing Conclusions 1999


watercolor over black toner xerographic reproduction of black India ink on paper, 21.59 x 27.94 cm (8.5 x 11 in.)

At the end of 1999, I finally re-fresh my biography for the Original Art Watch Program for Disneyland, returning to more simply stated prose style.

The title, "Better Than a Poke in Your Eye," is paraphrased from something Bert says in Mary Poppins regarding his own chalk pavement drawings. It has no other connection to the contents.

Again, I fold my BackStage characters into the art, with myself and Monster, my alter ego, in a Wonderland situation. (Clockwise from top-left) Dragon hero (Michael Supancheck), Peguin singer (Dee Polinsky), Seagull globe trotter (Suzanne Palmiter), Box Terrier pilot (Mark Driggers), African Lion space ranger (Leo Rodriguez), Striped skunk computer whiz (Ron Nakada), Bald eagle reporter (David Crane), Cheetah chef and Red squirrel manager (Paul and Diana Okamura).

Things to Look for:
a) a television, a recurring theme; b) a baby oyster; c) a cookie; d) Cri-kee from Disney's Mulan; e) Panel 3: that is more or less what I looked like in the watch shop painting pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment