Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

What I Drew Sunday, July 28th - Top 3

Quickly, what are the top 3 liked sketches that I drew for last Sunday’s “What Shall I Draw Today?
A lot of powerful women.

#1 - Xena: suggestion by @alfredofrangella.

I like to kick off “What Shall I Draw Today?” with one of the single character suggestions. Frankly, of the nine singles character suggestions, “Xena” was the simplest one, only requiring that I find a good piece of visual reference, and that suited me just fine for the first piece.

I watched the series, Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001) starring Lucy Lawless when it had originally been syndicated. I remember the Sam Raimi co-created series to be entertaining and engaging. So much so, that in 2017 to brace myself should the Gal Gadot lead movie disappoint, I had thought, “Well, you had Xena.” 

The character had several costume variations since having been introduced in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1995-1999) through its own final season, but I wanted to draw what could be considered the most iconic, “standard” costume. 


#2 - “The Squad”: suggestion combo by @alexandrabowmanart & @ourladylourdes.

One suggestion requested a “caricaturable political figure” further suggesting President Trump. A second suggestion requested “any of the female members of Congress recently called out to go back to their country.” The combining of suggestions was for plain expediency, since a majority of the suggestions involved multiple characters, and taking those one would surely minimize the number of sketches I could complete in the allotted eight-hours.

I felt that depicting the four Congress women, sometimes referred to by the nickname “The Squad,” was more deserved than selecting a representative individual. Featured from left to right are Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley. 

I attempted a caricature style inspired by the work of Al Hirschfeld. The results aren’t 100% Hirschfeld. I’d probably need another two passes to better hit that high mark. In the way that Hirschfeld hides his daughter’s name, “Nina” in his drawings, I inserted these four words, “faith,” “freedom,” “representation” and “opportunity.” They’re not exactly the “Four Freedoms” described by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, but along the same thoughts. I also drew five-pointed stars on all four as another shared, patriotic motif.


#3 - Sailor Moon Meets Captain Marvel: suggestion by @japchrissy.

With “meet-up” suggestions, there is an inherent expectancy to illustrate a clash of personalities.  Such story telling is difficult when I’m not familiar with either of the listed characters. I was/am opening title (i.e. surface) familiar with Sailor Moon. My impression of Captain Marvel in the 2019 movie and the MCU is a flat bravado.


Based on that little information, a bubbly Sailor Moon excitedly greets famed galactic hero, Captain Marvel, who while surprised, still chooses, for unknown reasons, not to instantly blast the young woman.

Here are the remaining 4 of the 7 sketches:

Severus Snape

Elizabeth & Mr. Darcy in a Haunted Mansion stretching portrait

King Louie

Bob’s Burgers in the style of Eric Goldberg.

All original art to be available for sale at my next convention - CTN Expo in November.

The next WSIDT is re-scheduled for Sunday, August 18.

More drawings posted on my Instagram feed @monstergram7.

All: Black ink and color pencil:
“Xena” on paper. 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.).
“The Squad” on Bristol Board.  17.78 cm x 12.70 cm (7.00 in. x 5.00 in.).
“Sailor Moon & Capt. Marvel” on Bristol Board. 8.89 cm x 6.35 cm (3.50 in. x 2.50 in.).

No comments:

Post a Comment