Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2019

What I Drew Sunday, February 23rd - Top 3

The activity that forced me to reschedule the Disney themed WSIDT from Sunday to Saturday ended up delaying posting these top 3 results a couple of days plus one more because I was just too tired to post this Tuesday.

Drum roll please. Here are What Shall I Draw Today’s top three liked pieces:

#1 - Waddles on a Pirate Ship (suggestion by @snowspuppet)

Waddles is Mabel’s pet pig in the animated television series, “Gravity Falls.” He lands squarely in a blind spot of my Disney fanship: Disney Channel and Disney XD. I hope that a couple of short YouTube short caught me up enough to depict the fellow properly. 


Avoiding dressing Waddles in a pirate captain’s uniform; sought to place him on a ship or at least imply the ship. Other considerations passed up were “Waddles next to a cannon,” “Waddles next to cannon balls,” and “Waddles at a sailing ship’s steering wheel.” 

In the end, the extreme low camera angle would allow the inclusion on a Jolly Roger pirate flag. The perspective is faked but communicates the scene. 


#2 - Lumpy the Heffalump and Roo as Dumbo and Timothy Q. Mouse (suggestion by @akoymdf)

I had read the first part of the suggestion and had drawn Lumpy alone. After posting that, I caught the whole suggestion and proceeded to work on this on a large scale (5” x 7”). Additionally, Lumpy, like Waddles, was a character that I had to rely on YouTube to gain more familiarity before tackling the drawing.

A couple of iconic Dumbo & Timothy set ups would prove difficult to replicate due to the differences in relative character size proportions. Roo is too big to sit in a hat. And he’s too big for him to lead Lumpy by his tail and have it be as cute as as a tiny mouse leading a baby elephant.  

It then became a circus themed scene, imagining the declaration, “Ladies and gentlemen...!”

I don’t know if it’s obvious but I deal with the mottling of quick color pencil sketch work by avoiding approximating flat color and rendering things with shadows and highlights. It’s funny how it’s easier for me to use a rendering style that results in a richer appearance. 


#3- Mer-Stitch (suggestion by @playrunreadcat)


A.k.a. Stitch as a mermaid/man/alien. I thought that there was no reason not to draw his antennae’s and 4-armed alien form. I also thought that a little bit of story always helps- add seahorse. 

Do you think mer-stitches eat seahorses?


Here are the rest:
Thumper and Meeko have Tea.
Princess Marisa and Prince Marzel
from Elena of Avalor
Zazu (The Lion King) and Iago (Aladdin)

Knowsmore (Wreck-It Ralph 2) and/vs Prof. Ludwig von Drake
Doorknob (Alice in Wonderland)
Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Queen Elsa (Frozen 2)
Teen Kristoff (Frozen)
Lumpy the Heffalump (Pooh’s Heffalump Movie)
All 12 if these original pieces of art will be for sale at my WonderCon, Anaheim appearance in March.

Please check out my Instagram feed for more drawings: @monstergram7

Thank you for playing, liking and following.

The next WSIDT is scheduled right before WonderCon.


All: black ink and color pencil on Bristol Board.
“Waddles” -  6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.).
“Roo & Lumpy” - 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
“Mer-Stitch” - 6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.).


No comments:

Post a Comment