Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Rapunzel Mashpunzel

Frequenting the pool of suggestions for my monthly What Shall I Draw Today? sessions are fun mash-ups, the combination of 2 or more different things into a new (some times more awesome) thing. I say “fun” because even if I never end up draw those suggested mash-ups, in almost all cases, the ideas tickle the brain to wonder, “what would that look like.”

RAPUNZEL / DAENERYS TARGARYEN
Black ink and color pencil on Bristol Board.
6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.).
When the Disney version of the fairy tale character is mashed-up with the Game of Thrones’s Queen of Dragons, naturally the companion chameleon, Pascal gets mashed-up as one of here dragons.

I confess here, that I still haven’t watched any of the HBO series (and 15 minutes of what was probably the much-talked-about “Red Wedding” on a hotel room television on a comic convention trip doesn’t count). Therefore, I don’t know how apt the mash-up is. But it does not need to be, because I’m not developing a story here - not even a Mad Magazine styled satire.

As posted on Instagram
Therefore 2: I gave Pascal costume wings secured by a tiny harness. Even making the assumptive leap from promotion images to imagine that Daenerys did/does ride dragons, I can’t say the she had done/did on a saddle. If she does ride on a dragon saddle, then WIN!


RAPUNZEL / SAILOR MOON
Black ink and Color pencil on Bristol Board.
6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.)

I suppose one could argue that the one object in the sky that Rapunzel is most associated with is the Sun, because of the sun symbol (spoilers) belonging to her family; and that would make her “Sailor Sun,” yes?

In designing the mash-up, I tried keeping much of the colors from Rapunzel’s costume and apply them to the typical Sailor Moon costume. Not satisfied with that, I added more of Raunzel’s details like striped pouffy sleeves, laces down the front of her bodice and fringes. Of course, she needs her signature long, long hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment