Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Keeps on Kickin”

“They’re Not Going To Lick Me.”
Digital mixed media

Here’s more of the art I created for my Dragon*Con announcement, the first time that I’ll have a table at the Atlanta fantasy/ science fiction fan convention. After this year’s Wonder Con show (Anaheim, CA) and Heroes Convention (Charlotte, NC), both of which I depicted city icons, I wondered in what way should I best capture Atlanta.

The answer: “Gone With the Wind”. Points to you if you recognized it as such. The title is a direct swipe from Scarlet O’Hara’s famous line in the movie “As God is my witness, as God is my witness they’re not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when it’s all over, I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.” The defiant tone is right for Tuff-Girl, although I’m not sure what circumstances would drive her to “lie, steal, cheat or kill.” That, I guess, are things Merrill, I and the readers can look forward to finding out in future adventures. Tuff-Girl’s gesture also borrows from that moment.

However, the layout with silhouetted tree framing the scene and the mansion in the back ground are from a different part of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment