Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Letter Be



Yet another distraction.

A few months back, I had posted a review of the Disney book “Animation (Walt Disney Studios: The Animation Series)” on FaceBook. Expecting to follow through with lots of reviews of Disney miscellany, I titled the proposed series “Disneyanadocious”. It obviously is intended to deal with Disneyana i.e. Disney collectibles, and mash that with the word you say when you don’t know what to say as coined by the song writing team Richard and Robert Sherman for the film “Mary Poppins.” Not content with that, in my estimation it needed a logo.

I stitched together a logo from the logos of Disney films, theme parks and other productions. I thought that with 16-letters, that I could honor the big landmarks in the company’s 82-year history. Unfortunately, the logos for Snow White, Pinocchio and even Mickey Mouse aren’t composed of letterforms that are necessarily iconic when taken out of context. I think I most regret that I don’t have a representation from any of the Broadway productions. It’s probably arguable that the second “a” is iconic enough, but I wasn’t going to omit the first and only animated feature to earn an Academy Award nomination for best picture.

Eventually, time permitting of course, Disneyanadocious will be part of my web-log of forwarded e-mail flotsam and jetsam, “That’s Good Spam” (thatsgoodspam.blogspot.com), mixed in with my five-point movie reviews.


And here are hints, for those who need it, of the sources of each letter and punctuation:

D - Dedicated by Roy as a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney.
I - A diamond in the rough.
S - Feature Mickey’s big feature film debut.
N - Takes down the Master Control Program.
E - Brought to you in thousands of sparkling lights, and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds.
Y - Practically perfect in every way.
A - Wouldn’t you think she’s the girl who has everything?
N - Enjoys the best of both worlds, chills it out, takes it slow, and then rocks out the show!
A - The most beautiful love story ever told.
D - In 1954, Walt visits millions of living rooms in glorious black and white.
O - A classic tale set in New Orleans in the roaring twenties.
C - Must leave the Prince’s ball before the stroke of midnight.
I - Lost a lucky rabbit and launched a company with a talking mouse.
O - You’ll think you’ve seen everything when you see him fly.
U - Flik’s epic story of miniature proportions.
S - Mickey Mouse would present these Walt Disney productions.
! - Where good clashes with evil in a nighttime musical spectacular on the Rivers of America.

1 comment:

  1. Truth be told, I actually ended up calling the FB article series “Disneyalidocious.” Reverting back to include “Disneyana“ as in my concept, is truer to the... uh, concept. Now you know.

    ReplyDelete