Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pin Backs



Bic® multi-color medium point ball-point ink on gray paper.
2001

In the Fall of 2001, I was working on my third series of Hard Rock Cafe cloisonné pins for pin company Pin USA. Like the two previous series, each different location required a different design featuring a pin-up girl in the iconic white shirt/skirt uniform.

The previous series kept close to real human proportions. I think they had been well served by other artists who copied the works of Varga, Petty and Elvgren - possibly to exhaustion. Admittedly inspired by these and other pin-up artists, I still attempted to discover something new with each drawing, and with each final piece of art in the size neighborhood of 3 cm (1.18 in.), strong poses with clear silhouettes were key.

For the third series, I proposed taking a more cartoony look. Above are some studies. Hard Rock preferred to continue with the direction that had been established.

No comments:

Post a Comment