Pages

Monday, June 22, 2020

What If... I Drew the First Idea I Had for the Cover of “Unstoppable Tuff-Girl” No. 1?

Here’s how I realize a 14 year old doodle into a comic book cover for the first issue of my self published comic book:

Compare this to the final cover in color.


As I write this in 2020, I am in the scripting stage of issue number 4 of my self-published comic book, “Unstoppable Tuff-Girl.” Thinking that it would be a good idea to speak more frequently on social media about my personal projects, if not a branding essential notion, I thought that it might be fun to consider issue number 1.

With a cover date of September 2010, UTG, volume 2, number 1 represents the anthology nature of the comic. The main image is the titular hero, Tuff-Girl, preparing for an attack from an airborne man-lizard aggressor to be revealed in the book as Rip Tyler. The left side panels allude to the other features “Wichita the Tuff Mutt” and “Little Tuffy and the Tuf Gurlz.”

On page 32, are depicted over 51 tiny thumbnail images each representing a concept sketch for the book’s cover with the first scribbled in 2006.



The multi-panel layout was a late consideration not only for the cover image development, but frankly also reflects the late inclusion of second and third story features.

The moment on the cover has a marked difference by placing Tuff-Girl in peril, rather than being portrayed as a confident actor.

The concept also features the lead story’s main antagonist, Eagle One along with obvious gambling elements of the coin-slot machines and roulette games of chance. This undermines whatever surprise the story may have as to the nature of Eagle One’s actions.

The redux cover was drawn and inked at actual print size, as opposed to the traditional process of creating art oversized for the benefit of tightening up the art when it is reduced.

What do you think. Did I make the right choice back in 2010?








No comments:

Post a Comment