Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

What I Drew Sunday, June 23rd - Top 3

Not close race at all in the likes contest of last Sunday’s WSIDT session. Trying to do laundry and other other chores really hampered my WSIDT productivity that day, in which I produced only 4 sketches in the scheduled time. So, I went into over time to make 4 additional single character pieces.

#1 - A Crossover Between the Cinematic Spider-Mans: suggestion by @johnssketches

The suggestion was specific about mixing it up with these three Spider-Man actors: Toby Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. Repurposing the Into the Spider-Verse movie poster was a thematic match, if a lazy one. I say quick and effective.

The result is not as clear as the idea. The result is three white guys jumping around in Spider-Man costumes. As much as I tried making subtle color differentiations in the reds and blues of the respective costumes, the real visual distinctions lie in the details of the film costumes not captured in my caricatured drawings.


#2 - Duke Caboom: suggestion by @linymph

Have you heard that there’s a Keanu-ssaince happening right now? Everything I know about this Toy Story 4 character I learned from the trailers: he’s a Canadian, motorbike, stunt-rider toy voice-acted by Keanu Reeves.

The pose, then, is a more action version of something from one of the trailers. You might think that because my own character, Tuff-Girl, rides a motorcycle that drawing a toy motorcycle would be easy. Well, I can do it, but it will never be as easy as drawing soft squishy characters which I can manipulate with clever perspective and scaling cheats.


#3 - Darkwing Duck: suggestion by @transmithim

I hold a fondness for this 1990’s character. Certainly it was a kid’s show, but with hits like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, Disney was winning the college-age crowd too. Yes, I was part of that crowd.


My take on Darkwing when I’ve drawn him is to take him seriously, and not treat it as a parody of Batman or Dick Tracy. There’s enough comedy in the idea of a crimefighting duck with oddball foes. This drawing is about his confidence.


Here are the remaining 5 of the 8 drawn:

Wheezy (Toy Story 2)

Wolverine as a Red Lantern

Taarna (Heavy Metal)

Lucifer (Tom Ellis)

Warren Peace (Sky High)

All 8 of these sketches are going in with the other pieces of original art for sale with me at comic book conventions and shows that I show.

The next WSIDT session is scheduled for July 28th.

You can check out my Instagram feed for more drawings @monstergram7 and where you can pitch suggestions for the next WSIDT.


THANK YOU for following and liking.

All: Black ink and color pencil.
“Spider-Mans“ on Bristol board. 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
“Duke Caboom” on paper. 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
“Darkwing Duck” on Bristol board. 8.89 cm x 6.35 cm (3.50 in. x 2.50 in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment