Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cartoon Network’s 20th Birthday, part 1 of 4

Cartoon Network celebrated it’s 20th birthday officially earlier this week on Monday, Oct. 1, 2012.


“Unrockable”
Digital color over cleaned scan of India Ink.

I have already contributed my artist skills to the celebration. First with my piece “Monkeys versus Robots” which I have previous posted and discussed. The second was as one of five artists to create, develop and refine the Network’s official art of “a thousand characters”, not literally.

In a fit of “what shall I draw now?”, (they do come in fits) I started musing on the idea of having Tuff-Girl meet some CN characters. It’s a key part of my day job to draw like some one else, and frankly it just seems to be a primary artistic goal of mine (one such expression of which has yet to come in my postings of TAGS).

With all my ambitions, I can’t do 20 idiomatic scenes, but four, I believe, I can do before I start on my Christmas plans.

This first one represents the beginning, the first five years, because why not? The launch of this new 24-hour network began, as most do, with the acquisition of existing content. I was excited, 20 years ago, to have a destination to see again The Flintstones, Johnny Quest, Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes. I may have been less excited about The Snorks and Yogi’s Space Race.

In almost no time, the Network began producing it’s own shorts and before its fifth year, Space Ghost has his own wacky talk show and Dexter was creating mayhem in his laboratory.

No comments:

Post a Comment