Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

What I Drew Sunday, March 28th - Top 3

 Last Sunday’s session of drawing other folks’ suggestion went a bit slower than my usual What Shall I Draw Today? session. I produced 6 sketches over the eight hour period. At the start of the day, I had made the pronouncement that I might stop early if I reached 12 sketches in order to turn my attention to household chores. Well, those chores had to wait until the official end of WSIDT.

Here are the top 3 liked pieces from Sunday:

#1 - Steamboat Willy as a Jungle Cruise Skipper: suggestion by Mike C.

Story time- although the Disney short is famously the first to feature synchronized sound, it’s not much on dialogue. As such, it’s ambiguous as to which actor is the titular character. Is it Mickey? Is it Pete? Is it in fact the name of the steamboat itself?  I’ve not seen any documentation to definitively clarify the point. I opted to keep Pete as the captain/skipper.

For reasons that escape my armchair analysis, the Disney Parks’ Jungle Cruise attraction, seems to have popped up frequently among the WSIDT suggestions. I think more than “Pirates of the Caribbean” and more than the “Haunted Mansion.” As such, I wanted to draw a part of the attraction that I hadn’t previously, and decided to feature the African Bull elephant. I remember having drawn, the safari chased up a pole by a rhinoceros, piranhas in the water, the elephant bathing pool and Trader Sam. Another half dozen Jungle Cruise suggestions and I’ll have to tackle the back-side of water.

If I were to do a second take on this sketch suggestion, I might be moved to depict the whole steamboat in the rivers of the attraction.

6x hidden Mickeys.


#2 - Harley Quinn at a Roller Disco with Scooby-Doo: suggestion by @alltookayleigh

There’s no clear connection linking these two characters, so they must be two of somebody’s favorite characters.

Scooby-Doo must be one of the top non-Disney characters that I draw for WSIDT if you include mashups with Scooby and the gang. With every successive Scooby that I draw I feel that I’m getting better.

The reflected spots of lights on the floor didn’t remove as well as I had hoped. A second regret is that I should have added more spots to the back wall, even if the ones on the floor weren’t ideal.

Harley Quinn is based on the model from her animated series. A lot of times I default to original Batman the Animated Series version if not otherwise prompted. I felt like shining a suggested spotlight on the DC Universe series.


#3 - Tigger meets June from “Little Einsteins”: suggestion by @elijones94

I’m a bit outside of the demographics for the “Little Einsteins” television series. A minute with a YouTube video of the series informed me that June likes to dance, and that’s all I needed to know for a drawing.

I tweaked the way I drew June so that her facial features were more Disney-fied.

In pairing June with Tigger, I imagined that she could possibly be shorter than Christopher Robin- maybe not quite up to his chin. And I think Tigger is no taller than waist-high compared with C.R. So, maybe a standing Tigger would be up to June’s chin?

Anyways, Tigger’s dancing would just devolve into a form of bouncing. More and more I like emulating “The Family Circus” style trail of ribbon based dashed lines, even if it’s not associated with a character like Tigger.

1x hidden Mickey.


Here are the rest of the 3 drawn on Sunday:


Zuko and Suki on an adventure with Appa
Suggestion by @nikkistar5394


Venomized Huey, Dewey and Louie
Suggestion by @cyberknight6196


Beverly Sutphin (Serial Mom)
Suggestion by @mannysmyname


All of these are currently not for sale, as I continue to build up a stock of original art to sell at future, T.B.D. comic convention showings.

The next WSIDT session is happening in April 25th. This one will  be “Star Wars” themed. In stating that now, I wonder if half of the suggestions with be Mandalorian and/or “Baby Yoda” centric.

Thank you to everyone who pitched their fun drawing suggestions. Thank you for following my blog and/or Instagram (@Monstergram7) and/or Monster Enterprises Facebook page. Thank you for liking. 


All: Black ink and color pencil on Bristol Board.

“Steamboat Willie” & “Harley & Scooby”: 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
“Tigger and June”: 8.89 cm x 6.35 cm  (3.50 in. x 2.50 in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment