Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

What I Drew Sunday, March 24th - Top 3

Here’s what ranked in this pre-WonderCon WSIDT:

#1 - Buzz Lightyear / RoboCop mashup: suggestion by @realmarkd

The respective designs for Buzz Lightyear (Disney•Pixar’s Toy Story franchise) and the eponymous RoboCop share so much in common that, for sure, this mashup must be everywhere on the internet. A quick Google image search reveals the answer of, “nope.” Look at them: 1) hard exo-suits; 2) black accordion abs; and 3) accessories that pop out with push-button ease.

For the Toy Story 2 licensing style guide, I did a bunch of Buzz Lightyear drawings. I actually composed a series of how-to-draw model sheets for Buzz and Woody. Maybe someone at Disney still has copies. So, I’m saying that I can draw a reasonable Buzz on the fly. As for the other, this is the first RoboCop, whole or in part, that I’ve drawn.

I had considered replicating the original 1987 RoboCop movie poster, but he’s stepping out of a patrol car and very profile. To turn the camera to reveal the chest plate just seemed to make it more Back to the Future than RoboCop. Besides, I didn’t want to draw the car anyways.



#2 - Elphaba and Glinda as Hogwarts students: suggestion by @akoymdf

Witches are the same as wizards in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter world/universe, right? Judging by the comments I get regarding how I assign/sort characters to one of the four houses of Hogwarts, I don’t know my HP stuff as well I could.

Elphaba and Glinda from the Wicked, Broadway musical (and the book that inspired it) are witches in training, and probably would have fared better in Hogwartz than they did in Oz.

I put Glinda in Ravenclaw only because it was Gilderoy Lockhart’s (Kenneth Branagh) house. I put Elphaba in Hufflepuff because Slitherin didn’t sound right, and Hufflepuff is a more fun word than Gryffindor, even if the mascot is a badger.



#3 - Lin meets Megara: suggestion by @oliviamn14

Lin (Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away) and Megara (Disney’s Hercules) were both voiced (in English) by the talented Susan Egan. You may know Ms. Egan as the first Belle in Disney’s Broadway sensation Beauty and the Beast.

I wonder if I draw a lot of people eating. On Sunday, as it happens, I drew Olivia Moore from iZombie* eating utilizing chopsticks. I wonder secondly, if this meeting passes the Bechdel test? I approach these meetings with the questions “what would they do?” and “what would they think of the other person?” What, I don’t have time for that? I guess they’re eating.


* The suggestion was to draw Olivia Moore from iZombie the TV series that was based on a DC Comic book. What I didn’t think to research was whether the main character for each were the same, they’re not, and I happily based the drawing more on the lead character of the comic. I think the Ariel-esque character design might be interpreted as a caricature of the actress Rose McIver. Not a lot, but maybe a little… if you squint.

and the rest:

Olivia Moore (iZombie)

Captain Marvel vs Maverick

Camila Mendes

Rita Farr (a.k.a. Elasti-Girl) arm wrestling Giganta
All seven of these original pieces of art will be for sale at my WonderCon, Anaheim appearance this weekend.

Please check out my Instagram feed for more drawings @monstergram7

Thank you for playing, liking and following.

All: Black ink and color pencil on Bristol Board.
“Buzz/RoboCop” - 6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.).
“Elphaba and Glinda” - 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.).
“Lin and Megara” - 8.89 cm x 6.35 cm (3.50 in. x 2.50 in.).

No comments:

Post a Comment