Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

What I Drew Sunday – April 29th

Here we GO!
Here are the top three liked drawing from last Sunday's Marvel-themed What Shall I Draw Today? session:

#1 – The Toy Story Gang as Marvel’s Avengers: suggestion by @akoymdf

#2 – Spider-Man: suggestion by @whateverrsd

#3 – Agent Peggy Carter: suggestion by @ashleyin1drland

UPDATE (May 1st, 2018, 3:00 pm EDT)
Toy Story/ Avengers mashup: I began, as I do, with two columns each listing the essential characters for each team/gang. I capped the lists to 7 each, witch conveniently included Hawkeye and Spider-Man of the Avengers and Bo Peep and Jessie on the Toy Story side.

The two Toy Story leads were easy to match, with Buzz being particularly fitting for Iron Man. Jessie is a better Black Widow than Bo Peep. Mr. Potato with angry eyes is a Hulk natural stand-in. Rex as Thor created the pun opportunity of Tyrano-THOR-us Rex. The others were just cast as best I could.

Then, of course, I riffed off of one of the posters for the first Avengers movie for the composition. The greatest benefit was that it didn’t require much background detail.


Spider-Man: I was inspired by the John Romita, Sr. stuff that I grew up with. From there, it was modernized with a slimmer build for him and more exaggerated and contorted posing.


Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell): This was meant to be more of little portrait than a caricature. As one of the early postings, I do concede that it may not have been the right choice with which to warm up, while at the same time drastically changing the lighting from the reference image I had found.


UPDATE (May 1st, 11:55 pm EDT)
All together I pulled out 13 quick inked and colored sketches going a bit past the 8-hour mark.

Peek at my Instagram to view all 13 drawings - @monstergram7

All of these will be trundled with a lot more original pieces of art to be sold at my next comic convention show, which should be Heroes Convention in June in Charlotte, NC. Please understand how sales of the ready-made art along with sales of at-the-con commissions currently helps to offset the costs of doing the con if not also the costs incurred for travel. I apologize that I don’t currently have an online store set up or make sales DM. I’m working on that. Then I hope that all together, online sales and convention sales together will begin to make this art business profitable.

Any not-yet-drawn suggestion from this session may yet be drawn at anytime before the next. Those sketches too will be trundled to the next con. All time permitting, of course.


Thank you to everyone who pitch drawing suggestions.

Thank you for liking and following.

yadda yadda yadda. The next WSIDT is scheduled for May 27. Be there!


All drawings black ink and color pencil on Bristol Board,
“Toy Avengers” 12.70 cm x 17.78 cm (5.00 in. x 7.00 in.)
“Spider-Man” and “Agent Carter” 6.35 cm x 8.89 cm (2.50 in. x 3.50 in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment