Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Top 3 of What I Drew Sunday - May 27th

#1 – Deadpool Meets the Incredibles: suggestion by Mark Bramm

I can only assume that the similarities of the characters’ costume colors was the impetus of this suggestions. Perhaps the current batch of marketing for the newly released Deadpool 2 and the up coming Incredibles 2 had something to do with it.
In this conception of the meeting, I think DP would be a fan of the family of supers. Although DP cozies up to Mr. I, Bob can’t readily reciprocate the sentiments. Young Dash, however, thinks DP is pretty cool. Elastigirl and Violet withhold their respective judgements.

#2 – Supergirl & Wonder Woman: suggestion by @starliie5929
If my memory holds, in the animated series, Justice League Unlimited, Supergirl was going through training by the like of Wonder Woman, Black Canary and other seasoned heroes. I think the same happened when Supergirl was reintroduced in the early 2000’s. So I naturally considered depicting a training scene. That’s a lot to squeeze within the confines of a 2.5" x 3.5" card, however. As that I try to cap working on the larger cards to only two, and having pre-determined from the suggestion list which two those would be, I pushed to “something else.” Comedy, perhaps?

I was really charmed by the brief scene in Wonder Woman where Diana first tries ice cream. The scene was at least inspired by a similar one in the animated, Justice League: War. I thought that there are more things about this strange world that Diana may introduce to Kara than fighting.

Ice cream is pretty great.

#3 – Sir Hiss: suggestion by @art3mis8182
This simple drawing beat out Sheila (Dungeons & Dragons) and the Muppets playing soccer to place in the top 3. In doing so, it upset my predictions to what tends to be Instagram popular.  Conversely, it may highlight the popularity of all things Disney.

Hiss is a fun character in a the fun movie full of fun anthropomorphic characters re-telling the legends of Robin Hood for kids. Set aside, of course, that latex balloons didn’t exist in the time of Robin and King Richard. Also set aside the improbable physics of gaining lift from one’s own breath and not helium nor hydrogen, and further strain that with re-inflating that balloon with your own breath from within that same balloon.

Like I said, it’s about fun.

I’d like to see Disney do a lot more with anthropomorphic casts of characters in their animated features, whether or not it’s a Zootopia sequel. After all, Disney started with the likes of Mickey and Minnie Mouses and Donald Duck, and he had great success with the Three Little Pigs.

All 11 original drawings will be available for sale at Heroes Convention, Charlotte, NC next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment