Pages

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Princess Powered

Much of this I’ve covered in the previous post “Earth’s Mightiest Princesses” (Oct. 29, 2017). However, the only one of the five parts of the series to receive a Top 9 position features Tiana as Captain America.


I began with the center piece which 1) partly addresses the What Shall I Draw Today? suggestion of the mash-up, 2) compositionally it is balanced enough to stand on its own, and 3) leaves me the out, should I choose, to never followup with drawing all of the mash-ups.

Working from a rough list of mash-up that I developed, here I go expanding on the idea. I’m sticking with the official Disney Princess list of 11 girls.

Naturally, I followed through with the panel to the left of center, fulfilling the official 11 Disney Princesses of the franchise. I also attempted to use Avengers members depicted in the Marvel Cinematic Universe of films.

Now, I’ve gone and done it and embarked on the expansion panels, going beyond the franchise’s 11 princesses to include some of the popular modern princesses. Elsa, of course, is weather controlling Thor, and the Avengers must have a thunder god/ goddess. I’ve also had to expand my Avenger choices to those from the comics having run out of those translated to screen.

And I finalize it all with some of the “lost girls”: Atlantis: The Lost Empire’s Princess Kida, The Black Cauldron’s Princess Eilonwy, Enchanted’s Princess Giselle and Peter Pan’s Princess Tiger Lily. If you eliminate the princesses from the various animal kingdoms of Disney and Pixar animated features, i.e. Faline (Bambi),  Nala (The Lion King) and Atta and Dot (A Bug’s Life), it leaves Ariel’s sisters, Nancy (Enchanted) and arguably Meg (Hercules) as unrepresented “lost girls.” But then, if Mulan can be a princess then...

Oh well, I'll leave that for another time.

ANNA, ARIEL, AURORA, BELLE, CINDERLLA, EILONWY, ELSA, JASMINE, KIDA, MOANA, MULAN, POCAHONTAS, TIANA, TIGER LILY, RAPUNZEL, SNOW WHITE, VANELLOPE © and TM Disney. MERIDA © and TM Disney/ Pixar. ANT-MAN, BLACK PANTHER, BLACK WIDOW, CAPTAIN AMERICA, CAPTAIN MARVEL, FALCON, HAWKEYE, HELLCAT, HULK, IRON-MAN, MANTIS, QUICKSILVER, SCARLET WITCH, THOR, TIGRA, VISION, WAR MACHINE, WASP and WONDERMAN © and TM Marvel Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment