I’ve created a piece of art entitled, “Vanity/Fairest” for the Disney Parks’ galleries. It wasn’t until last month when I saw with my own eyes prints of it for sale in Disneyland’s Disneyana store.
The theme that I was asked to create against was a piece featuring a Disney princess and her villainous counterpart.
The concept that I had was to have the Queen at the top of a tall panel as a looming malevolent element with Princess Snow White in the lower part as a colorful, lively element that a staves off the darkness. However, as I was exploring layout options, a lot of what I was doing just looked like iterations of the movie posters for Disney’s live action Snow White.There are Art Deco elements in the piece. My best efforts to pull it away from the typical movie poster look was to make it about contrasts. The Queen is in a monochromatic scheme, rendered alone as an up-lit 1940’s Hollywood portrait. The princess is in full, bright colors, the full character in Alphonse Mucha inspired pose with animal friends (a bunny and blue bird).
The original piece is mixed media (water color, color pencil and ink). The original has been sold, and prints are available in two sizes.



No comments:
Post a Comment