Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Potter Your World

Black India Ink and color pencil on Bristol Board.
17.8 cm x 12.7 cm (7.00 in. x 5.00 in.)
Here’s my conception of “Sorcerer Stone” era Ron Weasley, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger drawn in 1950’s Disney style (think Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland). It’s based on the young actors from the 2001 Warner Bros. first entry in the feature film series: Rupert Grint, Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. I chose the films as a reference point because it’s the films and not the books that are my entry into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World.

Pencil and ink before color.
I took a suggestion pitched during on of the “What Shall I Draw Today (WSIDT)” sessions and ran with a style that felt to me like a good match, even though a style overlay wasn’t indicated in the original suggestion. Subliminally I probably connected the character designs of Wendy’s brother John Darling with Harry.

Disney was still doing hand-drawn 2D animation the year “Sorcerer Stone” was released (see Atlantis: The Lost Empire). I wonder what Disney would have done if it had gotten the film rights to the Harry Potter series and opted to do animation? That, in fact, could be an interesting character design assignment. What I rather see, however, is the Potter books recreated in something like a Netflix series.

No comments:

Post a Comment